Showing new paintings, and latest news.
Hare and Hound Prints Now available in Float Frames!
10/22/2022 1:19:56 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
I have been selling prints of my work for sometime now and often get asked about framing. It is not possible for me to offer many framing options because I do not have time to administer them. I pondered on whether I should offer a limited range of frames, and this is my solution.
I tested canvas mounted prints in a black float frame that I could offer globally. This worked very well, but the black was not a fit for all the prints and I had to be patient and wait for the white version to become available to offer around the world.
My print Hold Tight was the obvious choice to offer first, and it attracted attention from my studio in Helsinki in both the black and white frame and not only to sighthound people - which I have to say has been quite a bonus!
Why float frames? I wanted to offer something different and modern. They are a very good quality wooden frame and have the added advantage that they are deep enough to be be free standing on a shelf.
Why only black or white? My art tends to suit either black or white and in some cases both! Frame choices are infinite and I do not have room to become a framing shop. For now at least I will stick to this limited but quality range.
Me and my Spanish Girl
4/28/2022 1:03:26 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
We have recently had an explosion of interest on Instagram and I know for a fact it is due to my rescue galgo Espanol (Spanish sighthound).
Since adopting Tenshi 3 years ago I paint almost exclusively greyhounds. I paint realistic portraits, but I am also very inspired to paint abstract art of these athletic hounds. Tenshi is always with me in the studio, so I always have a live model. As ‘Tenshi’s art’ has become so popular I recently promoted her from artist’s muse to business partner! Below is her top selling print Hold Tight.
My studio is in Helsinki and we ship original artworks and prints around the world.
You will find all the information about what we do here on this website, but if you have any questions please contact me!
Tenshi has her own Instagram account @galgotenshi
The Look of Love - New Hare and Hound Print Coming Soon...
3/6/2022 8:07:56 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
I used this image for Valentine's / Friends' Day on social media.
It was immensely popular and I was asked several times if it could be available as an art print. It is lovely to get this type of feedback, because one never really knows how successful an artwork will be as a print, and this made the decision easy. So, as soon as I see the test print you will see 'The look of love' offered in two convenient sizes A4 and A3 at SaarikoskiArt on Etsy.
If you would like to be informed when it is available send me a message by using the contact tab in the menu.
Fine Art Prints Available On-line and from my studio in Helsinki
11/9/2021 12:56:41 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
I have a selection of fine art prints available both on-line and from my studio in Helsinki. Perfect for Christmas gifts!
If you are unable to visit us in Helsinki the full range of prints is available from my Etsy shop SaarikoskiArt >>>
Here you will find all the details and prices for your region.
My studio address is:
Aleksis Kiven Katu 40,
00510 Helsinki
Opening times for autumn 2021 are:
Tuesday 13:00 - 17:00
Wednesday 13:00 - 17:00
Thursday 13:00 - 17:00
Saturday 10:00 -13:00
Peppi and her Hare - Galgo Espanol Portrait
11/8/2021 4:51:12 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
This is pretty galgo Espanol Peppi and her Hare painted as a commission as part of the Your Hound My Hare series. I have painted several in this series, some are commissions and some not.
I am always interested to see the reactions to paintings and I recently posted a group of these pieces with the Hare and Greyhound theme. They were all well received with likes and comments, however it was this of pretty brindle Peppi which has been shared far and wide on both Facebook and Instagram. I ponder why this one? She is certainly pretty, is it the brindle, is it the expressions of both the galgo or the hare...?
If you would like me to paint your hound with my hare like Peppi please get in touch. Commission details are here >>>
Two Galgos - Esteri and Peppi Faster Faster Commission
9/18/2021 1:58:12 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
How fun it was to paint this of two galgo Espanol girls in the style of my Hare and Hound painting Faster Faster.
There are many ways to have a portrait of your dog or dogs and this gives one example. I am sure stories can be told about what is happening with the characters - the black and white and the brindle Spanish greyhounds with that cheeky hare hitching a ride!
The two galgos in the painting are rescue dogs from Spain now living their sweet life in Finland!
Information about commissioning a painting can be found here >>>
My original painting Faster Fast is sold, however prints are available and you can find more details here >>>
Christmas Cards 2021
8/11/2021 11:39:59 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | 1 Comment
Heading towards the end of summer so it must be time to start thinking about Christmas! Well the Christmas card design for 2021 at least.
During August I have been considering the theme and thought I should continue the Hare and Hounds, so this is one of the new images (as there may be two). I am waiting for the proofs to come from the printing house to see how my images look in print. So, watch this space!
The cards will be available from my Esty shop and I will inform my email subscribers once they are available. If you are not already on my list you can subscribe here >>>

Another contender for
Christmas 2021!
The Hare and Greyhound that became my top selling print!
6/6/2021 12:33:17 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
Little did I realize when I had the hare and hound idea during the COVID-19 lockdown in spring 2020 that this small painting would become my most popular print. The original oil painting itself got a lot of attention and several people wanted it, so it was an easy decision to offer fine art prints from it. There prints can be bought from this website here >>>
A little background to the painting. It was inspired by my galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) a hunting rescue dog now happily retired with me, and my constant companion. Since having her I have enjoyed seeing far more wildlife than ever before as we are out walking early morning and late evening. She is especially interested in the local hare population which is plentiful in the area where we live. She quietly watches them and would chase given the chance, but we are within city limits where all dogs must be on a leash. However, during her first winter in Finland, so far colder than her native Spain, I noticed in the morning she would glance at the hares enjoying the grass in front of our home. But it was only a glance as she decided she would like to go into the warm to enjoy her breakfast. It was from this I had the idea about the hunter and the prey starting to co-operate and that's how the hare clinging to the neck of the hound came about.
I have been asked, why is the hare looking back? The simple answer is composition. How to fit the two animals together when one has such long ears. So I decided the hare could be looking back over its shoulder, and this could add to the story, and keep the viewer wondering about the situation. Whatever the hare may be watching I like to think there is co-operation between the unlikely pair.
Details:
Title: Hold Tight from the Hare and Hound Series fine art print.
Printed on fine art paper with archival inks.
Size: 20 x 25 cm or approximately 8" x 10".
The price includes sales tax (where applicable) and shipping.
Prints are made to order with a processing time of 3-5 days. Shipping times vary according to your location between 4 - 14 days.
To buy go to the print information page here >>>
Into the Night - Greyhound and Hare
1/17/2021 10:04:06 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
This is painting number 1 of 2021, and therefore my warm up painting for the start of the year!
The hound, ever the optimist, sees light at the end of the tunnel, even if it’s just a very small spot. The hare continues to look back, not quite believing what she is seeing...
This painting is on a canvas panel which I painted totally black before painting the hare and hound. The greyhound inspired my brindle galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) has black skin under her soft grey mask so painting white over the black gave just the effect I was looking for. There is a detail image of the painting below.
It is possible to have the painting framed in the dark wooden frame as shown below with hanging fixings on the back so it is ready to hang straight on your wall.
You will find details about the painting including price details here >>>

Faster Faster - Hare and Hound Series #9 Fine Art Print
1/10/2021 11:32:06 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
This oil painting was in a series of 10 Hare and Hound artworks and perhaps you can see how my imagination was starting to run, with the hare urging the hound "faster faster". It is up to you the viewer to decide the story, why, what, when?
The original painting found a super home in the US and I decided to make it available as a fine art print details about the print are below and if you would like to purchase click this link >>>
The idea for the Hare and Hound Series was inspired by my adopted galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) an ex-hunting dog from Spain, used for hunting hare and coursing. She lives in retirement now, but walking with her early morning and late evening we often see the neighbourhood hare population. As my galgo is always on the leash they seem to know they are safe and usually stick around while we pass. It's just a nice thought to think of some kind of cooperation between the species - the hunter and the hunted.
A fine art print available from my original acrylic painting 'Faster Faster'.
Printed on fine art paper with archival inks.
Size: 20 x 25 cm or approximately 10x8".
The price includes sales tax (where applicable) and shipping.
Prints are made to order with a processing time of 4-7 days.
Shipping times vary according to your location between 4 - 14 days.
To buy the print click here >>>
In need of something to make you smile for your home office?
1/7/2021 2:42:56 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
We find ourselves under restrictions again, spending more hours working from home. So, time to think about sprucing up the home office! This cheeky greyhound watching over you while you work is sure to bring a smile. The minimalistic style and neutral tones with a white background mean it is an easy fit whatever your current decor.
This is an original acrylic painting on gallery wrapped canvas. I have neatly painted the sides so it does not necessarily need a frame. It has hanging fixings on the back so it is ready to hang straight on your wall. Information about this artwork including the price you will find here >>>
The painting was inspired by my adopted galgo Espanol or Spanish greyhound! I love the shapes she makes with her elegant slim body. You can browse other greyhound original paintings and art prints on this website under the 'Artworks and Fine Art Prints' tab in the menu.
How Long Does It Take?
12/16/2020 5:32:14 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | 2 Comments
How long does / did it take? is the most frequent question I get asked, and is the most is the most difficult to answer for a number of reasons. First I do not clock watch while I paint, and have the attitude - it takes as long as it takes! It has to be right, but when is it right and when is it finished. Answering these two questions is not always easy and can delay the completing of a painting.
This painting 'Water's Edge' I did in three sessions, and therefore relatively quickly. I had the idea of the composition, it worked! I had to adjust the colour in the final stages and this was quick because this is an acrylic painting. With quick drying time I could make alterations, while the ideas were still fresh in my mind. An advantage of acrylic over oil. When painting in oils I may have to wait a couple of days before returning to make alternations.
However, to complete this painting it actually took longer than the three sessions... the idea was developed from other paintings (see below) and without those this painting would not exist, and brings me to another question I often get asked, "how do you get the ideas?"

The more I paint then the more ideas I get and both of the above were leading me toward the painting Water's Edge, and I can go back further to 2019 when I painted the first hare riding a hound (see below).

And I can go further back still to August 2018 when I adopted my lovely loyal Galgo Espanol or Spanish greyhound. Retired from hunting or coursing hare in Spain, she is the inspiration behind all of my Hare and Hound paintings. I love to watch her reaction when she sees a hare, usually most interested and 'on point' and very very quiet, but sometimes uninterested if it's time to go in for breakfast.
In these paintings, why is the hare riding the hound? Well I can leave you to imagine the stories behind the relationship! For my part I enjoy the thought that two different species could co-operate. The hunter and the prey. The smaller getting assistance from the larger, or even the upper hand...
The painting Water's Edge is sold and you can see more information about it here >>> If you would like a similar painting please get in touch by using the contact tab in the menu.
Hold Tight from the Hare and Hound Series - open edition fine art print
10/15/2020 1:33:13 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
This very popular painting is now available as a fine art print. Printed on fine art paper with archival inks.
Prints are made to order with a processing time of 3-5 days. Shipping times vary according to your location.
The size is 20 x 25 cm or approximately 8" x 10".
The price includes sales tax (where applicable) and shipping.
The original painting was inspired by my galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) a hunting rescue dog now retired, and her changing relationship with the neighbourhood hares, with a touch of my imagination thrown in.
Although the original painting is sold you will find other paintings in the series available on this website. I have also painted several 'Your Hound My Hare' as commissioned pieces, which means I could paint your hound with a hare similar to the once in this painting. You will find my commission information here and prices here >>>
Galgo Apollo and his Hare
9/3/2020 9:01:33 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
This is Refugio Esperanza's Apollo which I have painted with a hare very similar to the one in my painting 'Hold Tight' #3 in the Hare and Hound Series.
Before I started I was not too sure how it would turn out. Apollo's ears are different to my galgo in the Hold Tight painting. However, I am pleased to say it worked very well and I am grateful to Apollo's owner for asking if I would paint him like this.
The success of the painting is due to the theme, as galgo Espanol or Spanish greyhounds are used for hunting hare in Spain, and for those of us that adopt rescued galgos once they are no longer needed, we think of them as retired from this so called 'sport'. Therefore, could there be some sort of co-operation between the prey and the retired hunter - probably not, but a nice thought. The other reason for success is the length of neck a sighthound has, which gives room for the hare to sit on its back and cling on around the neck.
Since painting 'Apollo and His Hare' I have painted many Hounds with their own hares (or I could say my hare). The paintings have worked well, all different but all unique artworks in their own right. If you are interested in having your hound painted with my hare message me by using the 'contact' tab in the menu! Prices are based on my commission prices which you will find here by clicking this link >>>

Hold Tight
Hare and Hound Series #3
SOLD
The Space In Between - Hare and Hound Series #6
9/2/2020 3:00:01 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
I have been interested in how close wildlife allows my Spanish greyhound and I to get to them,before they decide it is time go. This why I chose to create this painting. Although the hare is looking away, her eyes are set in such a way she can still clearly see the hound and whether she needs to move away or not.
The space in between us and them varies a lot according to the species, and also the individual animal. Some of the hares that live close by are so used to us we can happily watch them for quite some time before they decide to move on.
A lot of the greyhounds in this painting series are brindle with a grey face, however this pale coloured galgo Espanol suited the colour palette I had in mind and the light coloured hare inspired by their fur colour during the winter when they lose their usual brown coat.
For more information on this Hare and Hound series read my blog post which gives some background to the paintings >>>
If you would like to be among the first to be informed about new paintings as they become available drop your best email address into the box below and I will keep you informed.
This is perhaps the cutest of the series of 10 paintings and is the only one unframed, although it has fixings on the back for hanging. You can see it from different angles by scrolling down. If your would like more information click the 'contact artist' tab in the menu!





Nyrkkeilevät Rusakot - Boxing Hares
7/13/2020 6:39:48 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
It was great fun to paint these two hares!
These lovely animals are normally solitary, so it is quite something when they show this crazy behaviour! I experienced just this craziness this spring while walking my ex-hunting dog, a galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) adopted from Spain. The hares where oblivious to us as we stood quite close to watch. My hound could not believe her eyes with this behaviour at such close quarters and this was all so amusing to observe. This is what has inspired me to paint my Hare and Hound series of paintings to be released August 2020. If you are interested to be among the first to have access to the paintings add your email details to the box below and I will keep you informed.
An original 80 x 60 cm (31"x 23") acrylic painting of two boxing hares.
This painting is sold, however if you would like to commission a similar piece, please contact me: [email protected]
Hold Tight from the Hare and Hound Series
6/26/2020 1:02:33 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
Another painting in the Hare and Hound series to be released early autumn 2020.
Inspired by my own dog a Galgo Espanol, an ex-hunting dog from Spain and her relationship with the local wildlife, I decided to do the first Hare and Hound series as small paintings of approx. 20 x 25 cm (8"x 10"). Some of these may be painted as larger works later.
It is fun to watch my dog indicate when there is wildlife around. She is always on the leash and they seem to know we are not too much of a threat, and allow us to approach to within a reasonable distance. Sometimes she seems indifferent to them, but other times very interested and back into her natural instinct to hunt.
In a lot of the paintings the hare seems to have the upper hand. I let my imagination run away with me as in this one, where there seems to be co-operation between the predator and the prey. This would never happen, but gives a positive image of the relationship with the Hound seeming to be helping the Hare - not sure what the Hare is worried about! What do you think?
We walk similar routes, so I believe we are seeing the same animals: mostly brown hares, but also forest deer and if we are lucky a fox!
If you would like to be one of the first to be informed of other Hare and Hound paintings in the series, enter your information below.
Hare and Hound Series
5/28/2020 8:38:10 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this
The COVID-19 situation has had positive effect on my art in that it has given me time to stop and really think about not only what I should be doing, but also what I could be doing!
The door to my studio had to close to the public when a state of emergency was declared by the Finnish Government on 16th March 2020. When I took some orders to Posti (the Finnish Post Office) destined to the USA I was told they were not accepting items for outside Europe. Two income streams cut simultaneously! I used social media to promote my dog portraits and I am very grateful to those who bought, supported and encouraged me through these channels. And I thank those in the US for their continued patience while we wait for customs lines to reduce sufficiently.
In the back of my mind since last autumn I have been thinking about doing a Hare and Hound series of paintings. This is because my hare paintings have always been popular and I did one hare and hound painting 'Escape from the Tracks', which sold off my ease as I was working on it.
I have a Spanish sighthound or Galgo Espanol. A rescue dog and ex-hunting dog from Spain. I have enjoyed watching her interest, although at times disinterest and also sometimes her over enthusiasm with the plentiful population of wild hares in our neighbourhood, I have accumulated a lot of ideas as sketches as well as photos to use as reference.
Now restrictions are being lifted I am travelling to my studio more and I cannot wait to get started, so watch this space or even better sign up for my newsletter to get first dibs!
I also regularly post on Instagram @saarikoskiart and Facebook @TaideCharles-Saarikoski

Escape From the Tracks - SOLD
















