Showing new paintings, and latest news.


Nyrkkeilevät Rusakot - Boxing Hares

7/13/2020 6:39:48 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

It was great fun to paint these two hares!

 

These lovely animals are normally solitary, so it is quite something when they show this crazy behaviour!  I experienced just this craziness this spring while walking my ex-hunting dog, a galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) adopted from Spain. The hares where oblivious to us as we stood quite close to watch. My hound could not believe her eyes with this behaviour at such close quarters and this was all so amusing to observe. This is what has inspired me to paint my Hare and Hound series of paintings to be released August 2020. If you are interested to be among the first to have access to the paintings add your email details to the box below and I will keep you informed.

 

An original 80 x 60 cm (31"x 23") acrylic painting of two boxing hares.

 

This painting is sold, however if you would like to commission a similar piece, please contact me: [email protected] 

 

 

Read More


Birdwatcher - Red Fox

7/7/2020 8:44:19 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

This fox painting recently found its new home in the same street as my studio!

The studio has a large window to quite a busy street. It faces almost due north, so perfect for painting as the light hardly changes throughout the the day. The other advantage of this window is that it is great for displaying my paintings. My neighbours often comment how they like to see what I am painting. This has encouraged me to always turn my easel to face the window when I am not there so they can see the work in progress. I also display other works on the wide windowsill which I rotate on a regular basis, and the fox has had his turn. This is how he found his new home!

 

Back to the painting! For those that live in Helsinki you are probably familiar with Lehtisaari an island on the west of the city. This is the location where I often saw the subject of this painting. I used to see it regularly, a lovely healthy looking fox with beautiful thick fur.  I have several photographs of him - not terribly good, but good enough to paint from.

The moment captured in the painting was when the fox saw me, turned away to go the opposite direction and was then distracted by some birds flying overhead. This is why I called the painting birdwatcher. 

Read More