Showing new paintings, and latest news.


Into The Light - 3rd Place - Abstract in the November 2025 BoldBrush Painting Competition

1/24/2026 8:46:02 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I received an email that went like this:

 

"Dear Louise,
Congratulations! Your painting, "Into The Light", was an award winner in the November 2025 BoldBrush Painting competition.
"Into The Light" was awarded the honor 3rd Place - Abstract by Thomas W. Schaller (award-winning artist, architect, and author based in New York City)."
.
My description of the painting is below:

 

This reminds me of a brindle Galgo Espanol I once knew...

 

Emerging from a dark place where their beauty, sensitivity, elegance, faithfulness, loyalty was never appreciated. To step into the light, into their forever sweet life, where they will be appreciated, loved and live happily ever after.

 

I always like contrast and the thick black paint was perfect for depicting the idea of rescue dogs who come from a dark place and find their forever homes, (more photographs of the painting below). This original artwork is for sale and you can find it here on my website by clicking the link:  https://www.louisecharles-saarikoski.com/workszoom/6313985/into-the-light#/

 

 


 

 

 

Read More


Taiteiden yö - Helsinki Night of the Arts open studion event!

8/10/2025 1:33:07 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I will have an open studio event again this year for Taiteiden Yö on Thursday 14th August!

Doors will be open from 16:00 - 19:00.

Address is: Solvikinkatu 10 B, 00990 Helsinki, and my studio is at street level.

There is plenty of street parking and good public transport connections.

Original paintings and prints are on display with prints at special event prices.

Hope to see you there!

 

If you cannot make it on the night, contact me so you can arrange to visit at another time.

Also, my online print shop has 15% off all orders until 14th August to coincide with this event!

Read More


Save the Date - May's Galgo Rescue Day at my Studio in Helsinki

5/16/2025 11:41:32 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Come and meet the some Galgos looking for a home!

If you have been curious about these former hunting dogs who make excellent pets, come along and meet some. The people from May's Galgo Rescue can answer your questions and tell you all about adopting these couch potatoes and excellent companion dogs.

 

Yoga will also be there. He is an affectionate boy and will expect some scratches from you. In return he will let you sit on his sofa.

We look forward to seeing you in Aurinkolahti!

 

P.S. You can also see my art - original paintings and prints.

Read More


The Waiting Game - Galgo Espanol

3/23/2025 8:06:38 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

For some reason, some Galgos can wait an incredibly long time to find a home.  No matter how sweet and affectionate they are, they still get over looked...

More photos of this painting are below!

 

The price includes EU sales tax (where applicable) and shipping by courier to Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand. For other countries please contact me for the shipping costs. 

Any import tax/excise duty is to be paid by the purchaser.

The painting is sold unframed.

 

 

 

 

Read More


How I Met My Galgo Yoga

2/16/2025 3:04:49 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I met my newly adopted Galgo by accident on 1 December 2024. He is a lovely black Galgo with a toe missing on a back paw and large scars on his body, which are injuries from his previous life as a hunting dog in Spain.

 

I had decided to go to the HESY (Helsinki Humane Society) Christmas fair where I knew one of the Galgo charities would be selling items to raise funds, and there would also be some Galgos there. So I could buy Christmas presents and get my 'Galgo fix' at the same time.

 

I did not go with the intention of looking for a galgo to adopt, but I was introduced to Yoga who wagged his tail and gave me a quick sniff.

It was suggested he would be the perfect fit for me. Relaxed, confident enough to spend time with me in the studio, loves everyone so would not be worried by any visitors. Also possible he could live as an only dog. I went for a short walk with Yoga and his foster mum. He was very curious as he walked next to me in a small wooded area, we met a small dog and he passed it politely...

 

I was going to England for Christmas and had planned to start looking for a suitable Galgo to adopt at the end of January 2025. Therefore, finding Yoga at this time was a bit early, but I kept thinking about him. He had been looking for a home since March 2024, and been in a foster home in Finland since end of October. He's a black male with scars on his body, therefore despite being a lovely polite boy, he was being overlooked, as black male dogs often are. I have to admit, I thought it was an advantage to have a dog recommended as a likely 'match', by someone who knows my set up, and this is why I started to seriously think about Yoga as my future companion.

 

Before Christmas I wrote to May's Galgo Rescue to tell them I was interested to adopt Yoga, and could I meet him again with my husband. This was arranged and he came to visit us at our home in January. He walked quietly in, took his own independent tour of our flat, and decided to settle on the sofa, while we chatted about him with his foster Mum. He then decided to try our bed and really made himself at home, enjoying both me and my husband making a huge fuss of him.

 

It was an easy decision, and Yoga came to live with us a couple of weeks later on 25 January.

 

He arrived at our house as though he had always lived there. He spent his first night with us peacefully on the sofa. He is generally very quiet inside, sleeping most of the time as greyhounds do. Outside he is the opposite! He is looking for any movement all the time and very reactive to the local wildlife of which there is plenty. He would really love to go bunny chasing. He wears a harness with leash attached, and also a separate leash attached to his collar, and I am wondering if he will always have to have two leashes as security. I remember Tenshi was the same when she arrived, but the interest in chasing did subside.

 

Yoga has a very sweet character, loves cuddles, is very affectionate, although at the same time not demanding. He loves going outside, and as soon as he comes in he would like to go out again. His enthusiasm has meant I have lost at least a kilo in weight, which is fine by me!

 

I am looking forward to seeing how he settles down into our routine over the coming months.

 

Yoga was brought to Finland by the charity May's Galgo Rescue >>>

Read More


Greyhound and Galgo Christmas cards 2024

11/6/2024 5:56:22 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

If your are looking for greyhound and galgo Christmas cards my Christmas theme designs are available again from Redbubble

It is a convenient way to buy cards for the holiday season, as they are printed in your country or once close by, rather than me sending them around the world from Finland! Shop Christmas cards here>>>

As well as the cards you also find a cute Christmas throw pillow which is proving very popular take a look here >>>

Read More


2025 Greyhound and Galgo Wall Planner Calendar - Suomi

11/1/2024 7:48:23 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

**Calendars have now SOLD OUT**

See a different piece of greyhound art each month for a year!

For the first time I am offering a monthly wall planner calendar with a piece of my galgo or greyhound art for each month. This 2025 calendar has 13 different images, including the cover, and has space to write important dates and appointments. Language inside the calendar is Finnish and includes public holidays and name days.  The size is A4, and the calendar pages are printed on high-quality 250 g/m² silk-matt paper. See more photos below. Designed and printed in Finland.

If you would like more information about the calendar please email me: [email protected]

 

 

 

Read More


2025 Greyhound and Galgo Wall Planner Calendar

10/31/2024 7:39:03 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

** Calendars are now SOLD OUT**

See a different piece of greyhound art each month for a year!

For the first time I am offering a monthly wall planner calendar with a piece of my galgo or greyhound art for each month. This 2025 calendar has 13 different images, including the cover, and has space to write important dates and appointments. The size is A4, and the calendar pages are printed on high-quality 250 g/m² silk-matt paper. See more photos below. Designed and printed in Finland.

If you would like more information about the calendar please email me with your name and country and I will send you the details. [email protected]

There is also a Finnish version!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read More


Saying Goodbye to Tenshi

9/5/2024 8:09:39 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | 2 Comments

As I am writing this, it is coming up to six weeks since I had to make the decision to say goodbye to Tenshi. I am writing this because many have asked about what happened at the end of Tenhi's life. It is very difficult to go back to those last 24 hours, but I can now direct people here if they wish.

 

The last Friday in July had been just a normal day. We went to the studio as usual. I decided as it was the weekend we could leave a little early, and I called Tenshi off her usual spot on the large studio sofa. She had a leisurely stretch and she chose the way home, as she always did. That day she wanted to go by the beach to do all her sniffs, and headed home at her pace. She was thirteen and her back legs were showing signs of age as they were a little wobbly, but she still trotted along quite enthusiastically.

 

When we got home Tenshi did a zoomie, jumping on our bed and barking at herself in the mirror. This was an almost daily routine, and therefore she seemed just fine.

 

She ate all her food for her evening meal, and my husband and I settled down watch on TV the opening ceremony of the Olympic games in Paris. Around 22:00 I decided to take Tenshi for her last walk of the evening. We were only about 30 metres from our place when she did a kind of sneeze and I notice some small drops of blood on the asphalt. At first I did not see where the blood came from. I checked her mouth and then I saw a small amount of blood around her left nostril. I wiped her nose with a tissue and saw there was more blood coming. I immediately turned her round and we walked straight back to our place and up in the lift to our flat. I took Tenshi straight to the bathroom, announcing to my husband that I thought we had an emergency with Tenshi and could he come to hold her while I found a towel to mop the blood, and started to check on my phone where we could take her.

 

Tenshi was positive for Leishmania and was on daily medication. I know nose bleeds are a symptom of the disease and at 13 years old I was very concerned about her. It was 22.30 on a Friday evening and I was trying not to panic!

 

I made a couple of phone calls and it was decided it was best to take her to the closest animal hospital which happens to be the Helsinki University Veterinary Hospital in Viikki, which is open 24/7. By this time Tenshi was bleeding heavily from her left nostril. My husband carried her, and I lay a quilt in the back of the car for her to lie on and to absorb the blood, there was so much blood!

 

Luckily at that time in the evening the drive took only 10 minutes and the bleeding from Tenshi's nose had almost stopped by the time we arrived at the hospital. Thankfully there were no other patients in the reception so we were seen by a young vet straight away, who took a brief medical history of Tenshi. The Duty Vet came and discussed the possible causes of the bleed. Nose tumor, foreign body or, and most likely Leishmania related.  Fluids were given to via intravenous drip which included a coagulant to help prevent further bleeding.

 

I sat with Tenshi while my husband returned home to clean up the large amount of blood in the corridor outside our flat, and in the lift to the garage. About oo.30 on Saturday morning, the Duty Vet came to check Tenshi and it was decided we could take her home, so I rang my husband to come and pick us up. I just got to the reception area, sat down and the bleeding started again. I was able to quickly attract the attention of the staff and I was directed to ICU, leaving the night security guard cleaning up the blood! We agreed Tenshi should stay the night in ICU.  I was told I should go home and try to sleep and the ICU Vet would call in the morning.

 

We did not sleep much. The morning came and went and no phone call. I assumed this was good news as they had said they would ring if Tenshi deteriorated significantly overnight. But, I also knew they could be extremely busy as it was the weekend. I waited until 14:00 and decided I had to ring. The ICU vet of course, was very busy and I was told I would get a call back soon.

 

The telephone call came. Tenshi had slept, she had been on a drip with more coagulant overnight. She had eaten some breakfast, but the bleeding had started again during the morning. The ICU vet explained they could give a blood transfusion as there had been so much blood loss, however continuing the coagulation medication meant there was a danger of blood clots. At this point the decision was made, she should not be allowed to suffer any longer. I said we would come as soon as possible to say our good byes to her.

 

Arriving at ICU my dear Tenshi was comfortable lying on a thick quilt, but looked so small. I had never seen her sick before. Even though she had Leishmania she had never shown visible symptoms of the disease, although we knew it was lurking inside her. She was always a big strong girl, standing no nonsense and a member of 'The Strong Girls Club'! Seeing her like this was heart breaking and the only right decision at this stage was euthanasia.

 

I could see she recognized us but she hardly moved.We made a fuss of her, and I kissed her soft narrow head as I felt her heart stop as she peacefully slipped away.

 

My husband and I were both in shock. In those few hours, on our two visits to the Eläinsairaala in Viikki we met: a student vet, Duty Vet, ICU Vet, 2 nurses, reception staff and the night security guard. Each one of them, although in different roles, were kind, patient and empathetic to us throughout this terrible situation.

 

Despite Leishmania Tenshi lived an active life to the age of thirteen years. No doubt the reason she lived this long was due to the  continuous care of veterinary surgeon Tanja Hakkarainen, who works for Eläinklinikka Amos in Haaga, Helsinki. Always grateful to have such an expert to regularly monitor Tenshi with this disease.

 

Many have asked me if I am going to have another dog. At the moment it is too soon. I am only interested in adopting a rescue dog, and it is a huge commitment. You never quite know what you are going to get, and they are what they are... you have to be ready to adapt to their needs. So when the time is right, I will be looking for another rescue dog, and I am sure it will be a Galgo Espanol.

 

Tenshi was rescued in Cordoba, Spain by Galgos del Sur.

I adopted her via Galgos del Fenix who brought her to Finland. You can also find them on Facebook>>>

 

Tenshi's empty studio sofa, waiting for a new occupant when I am ready...

Read More


Grey Face - greyhound canvas print

8/30/2024 9:05:28 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

The way she quietly watches you...

A close-up depiction of a grey faced brindle greyhound with expressive eyes in a slightly abstract style, blending soft pinks in the background. The brushstrokes and color palette give the artwork a raw and emotional feel. The perfect combination of greyhound and abstract art. The combination of pinks and greys make it ideal to be a focal point in any room.

 

The painting sold but is now available printed on canvas in my print shop. There is an unframed and a framed version.

And if you would like to browse the whole collection of prints click here >>>

 

Read More


We have moved!

5/2/2024 1:36:44 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | 1 Comment

We have just made a short move to a new location. We are only about 300 metres from our old studio, so why the move?

 

I would have been quite content to stay where we were. We had more than enough room, quiet, close to home and very nice neighbours. The only downside was that we could not be seen from the street. This meant it was difficult for those coming to collect paintings to find us. It was also a challenge for the courier who collects paintings from us several times per month. All was fine if it was our usual very nice UPS driver, but if he was on holiday.... well it was difficult and rather stressful. Likewise to get deliveries was the same challenge. However, we had managed and would have continued to do so.

 

Also, I rely very much on Instagram for my sales of both paintings and prints. You may not have noticed, but Meta who owns both Instagram and Facebook had a major outage a few weeks ago, which meant both platforms were down for several hours. Me, like many millions around the world, thought I had been hacked! This is a constant threat and forced me think that although convenient it is not so good not to rely on the Internet so much for my business, and makes me very happy I have made the move. Having a physical store front plus the Internet gives me much greater flexibility now and in the future.

 

It was through word of mouth, I heard a place around the corner at street level was about to become available to rent! I was able to arrange a quick viewing with the current tenant, and decided I should take it. I immediately contacted the building's manager and negotiated the contract for the space.

 

So here we are, currently a bit of a mess but soon to be sorted.

Below is a location map and we do actually have a view of the sea, which of course is amazing. We moved in on 29th April 2024 and the place does not yet feel like mine, but that will change as the weeks go by and I get painting!

 

If you are familiar with Helsinki you can see where we are located (we are already marked on Google maps)! Here we are quite visible because we have display windows and door to the street.  The address is: Solvikinkatu 10 B, 00990 Helsinki.

 

Future plan is to have a regular opening time, and also be open by appointment. Perhaps we will also be part of Helsinki's Night of the Arts in August with an open studio event. Watch this space!

 

 

Tenshi made herself comfy immediately!

Read More


Christmas Cards 2023

10/31/2023 1:48:05 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Christmas card samples have arrived! There are three new designs, as well as the old favourites. Click here to take a look >>> 

 

I was looking for somewhere that would be able to process and ship quickly around the world during the busiest time of year. Last year all my Christmas cards were printed and sent from Europe, which meant slower shipping times than I would have liked to e.g. USA and Australia.  Redbubble has a global network of printing facilities, and therefore means a lot of you will receive your cards much quicker.

For example:

Australia - printed in Australia

Canada - printed in Canada

USA - printed in USA

UK - printed in UK

Rest of Europe printed in Netherlands and Italy

 

So you can see this will really cut down on crossing international borders with customs checks, which is where a lot of hold ups take place especially during peak times of year.

 

In addition to this, ordering is much more flexible. You will be able to order from one card to many cards, which I have not offered before.

 

And one final, but very important point, I will be donating the profit from these Christmas cards to Galgo del Sur, as I did last year. This is the charity in Spain who rescued my dear Tenshi, and without whom none of these designs would exist.

To see what is on offer click this link to my Redbubble shop >>>

 

 

Read More


An abstract Galgo Painting and Dog Shampoo

7/22/2023 12:53:25 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

This is the second abstract galgo painting I ever created once I realized I could communicate more in this style than by painting realism, and I was so pleased when a 'Galgo person' bought it.

 

This year I had a surprise phone call and was asked if one of my paintings could be used for the packaging of some dog shampoo. I was interested to know which the company would choose... And it was this one - Wheel of Fortune! 

 

Interestingly the person who bought the painting  Wheel of Fortune, is the founder of the charity  May's Galgo Rescue, and they have been chosen to benefit from all sales of the shampoo from July to December. Small circles, wheel of fortune, or coincidence? You never know what fortune is coming to you next!


The all natural handmade shampoo is made in Finland by Kaurilan Sauna who ship internationally.

 

 

 

Read More


Summer Memories - Galgo Espanol Fine Art Print

7/18/2023 1:09:36 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Holiday time here in Finland and a chance to enjoy summer long evenings and beautiful flowers... It is quite common at this time to see ladies and girls wearing flower crowns, so why not dogs... 

I wanted to keep the painting light and misty, and the long face a galgo (Spanish greyhound) appearing as though she might be wearing a veil. 

This painting is available as a fine art print in two sizes. Click this link for all the details!


Summer Memories

(detail)

Read More


Something in the Air selected as part of the FAV15% in BoldBrush Painting Competition

6/26/2023 6:57:50 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Standing steady and sniffing the air, who has just passed through? Was it a hare, fox or surely a deer as the nose is lifted so high. This painting is inspired by my own Galgo Espanol, so it was extra special to receive the following email:


"Dear Louise,
Congratulations! Your painting, "Something in the Air", was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury's favorite 15% of the entries) in the May 2023 BoldBrush Painting competition.

Thanks so much and congrats again!
Sincerely,
The FASO Team"

 

The painting is at the moment still available. If you would like to see the details, click here >>>

 

Read More


Always Together - Two Galgos

3/21/2023 12:28:38 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

A pair of Spanish sighthounds with the title Always Together.

This has been a very popular painting not just because there is a white and a black greyhound, but also the colors have appealed to a lot of people. Therefore I am very happy that it has reproduced very well as a print!

 

If you would like to see photos and information on how to purchase, please click here >>>

 

Read More


The First Painting of 2023 - Always Together - Two Galgos

1/15/2023 3:45:50 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

A pair of galgo Espanol, Always Together (more images below).

I remember before adopting my own galgo I was advised by several very knowledgeable people to "adopt two", because they would be happier than being an only dog!

I have to admit I usually take notice of experts. However, as a self employed artist with an unpredictable income, to go from zero to two dogs was a big ask. Therefore, I waited patiently for some months until one seven year old, brindle female came up for adoption, described as relaxed, suitable as first galgo and 'could possibly be an only galgo'. And this was my lovely Tenshi,! She is as described and seems to not be interested in other dogs. But I must admit with what I know now, I think she would be happier if there was another galgo in our home.  Therefore, if your are thinking of adopting a galgo or a greyhound, and I fully recommend, remember to adopt two, or at least two... or  preferably three.... 

 

For the details about the painting click here >>>

 

          

Read More


Hare and Hound Prints Now available in Float Frames!

10/22/2022 1:19:56 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I have been selling prints of my work for sometime now and often get asked about framing. It is not possible for me to offer many framing options because I do not have time to administer them. I pondered on whether I should offer a limited range of frames, and this is my solution.

 

I tested canvas mounted prints in a black float frame that I could offer globally. This worked very well, but the black was not a fit for all the prints and I had to be patient and wait for the white version to become available to offer around the world.

 

My print Hold Tight was the obvious choice to offer first, and it attracted attention from my studio in Helsinki  in both the black and white frame and not only to sighthound people - which I have to say has been quite a bonus!

 

Why float frames? I wanted to offer something different and modern. They are a very good quality wooden frame and have the added advantage that they are deep enough to be be free standing on a shelf. 

 

Why only black or white? My art tends to suit either black or white and in some cases both! Frame choices are infinite and I do not have room to become a framing shop. For now at least I will stick to this limited but quality range.  

Read More


New Greyhound and Galgo Fine Art Prints Coming Autumn 2022

6/27/2022 7:39:38 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I will have a new selection of galgo Espanol and greyhound prints coming in the Autumn 2022 from some of my new paintings created this spring. See those selected below. I am expecting them to be available in September. The best way to be informed when they are released is by becoming a subscriber to My List. Click this link to join>>>

 

     

Crossing

 

Follow Me

 

Fly High

 

The most reliable way to be informed when these new fine art prints are ready is to be on My List! And you can subscribe here by following this link >>>

And if you would like to browse the currently available you will find the information here >>>

 

 

Read More


Summer Colours and Greyhounds

6/26/2022 5:38:21 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I have enjoyed painting with a green and pink colour palette since the start of the spring, and including it with my greyhound and galgo Espanol paintings. 

 

Even before I actually saw any green growth this year, I started mixing different shades of green in anticipation. I went back to an idea I had last year with the painting spring fever (see below). I do not use green too much in paintings so it was nice to observe all the greens in the forest where we live and as spring arrived, that very special fresh (spring) green! However, my favourite shade has been the greyish green which has gone so well with the pinks I have used as with the painting Patience above.

 

That said, with summer holidays fast approaching I am already starting to think about the colour palette I should be using as we head into autumn. Watch this space...

 

The easiest way to be kept informed of new paintings and fine art prints is to subscribe to my email list and you can do so here >>>

 

Spring fever is available as framed canvas print,

Click here for details >>>

Read More


Follow Me

6/26/2022 5:15:23 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

On the one black, one white greyhound theme again.

 

Always good to have more than one greyhound. There is always a leader and I have again used the lighter coloured sighthound stepping out in front, although they are both quite confidently trotting in the same direction.

 

Most of my sighthound paintings are inspired by my galgo Espanol whose favourite pace is a brisk trot when she is on the leash. I love to watch her smooth, flowing action and how she covers the ground so easily.

 

I have chosen brighter colours for this painting. The painting needed something to contrast with the strong pink and that is why I added the bright green.

 

For all the details about this original oil painting click here >>>

 


Read More


Greyhound Poetry in Motion

4/29/2022 9:00:54 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

An abstract greyhound painting with choice of color to give a spring vibe, after what seems to have been a very long winter.

 

It had been many months since taking my galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) to the dog park due to snow and icy conditions. So our recent visit with the sun shining it was wonderful to watch her run. Despite lack of practice she easily stretched out her long limbs covering a large amount of ground with one stride and without even trying. She did not go top speed, just showed she was built to run and that she is very good at it.

 

I videoed her as I often do and watched frame by frame to get this inspiration for the painting. Observing the order of the legs, as the last fore foot just leaves the ground before the moment of suspension and on to the next long relaxed stride...

 

This painting was sold before it was finished, while it was still on my easel!  If you would like me to paint something similar for you please get in touch: [email protected].

Read More


Me and my Spanish Girl

4/28/2022 1:03:26 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

We have recently had an explosion of interest on Instagram and I know for a fact it is due to my rescue galgo Espanol (Spanish sighthound).

Since adopting Tenshi 3 years ago I paint almost exclusively greyhounds. I paint realistic portraits, but I am also very inspired to paint abstract art of these athletic hounds. Tenshi is always with me in the studio, so I always have a live model. As ‘Tenshi’s art’ has become so popular I recently promoted her from artist’s muse to business partner! Below is her top selling print Hold Tight.

My studio is in Helsinki and we ship original artworks and prints around the world. 

You will find all the information about what we do here on this website, but if you have any questions please contact me!
Tenshi has her own Instagram account @galgotenshi

Hold Tight - fine art print

Read More


The Look of Love - New Hare and Hound Print Coming Soon...

3/6/2022 8:07:56 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I used this image for Valentine's / Friends' Day on social media. 

 

It was immensely popular and I was asked several times if it could be available as an art print. It is lovely to get this type of feedback, because one never really knows how successful an artwork will be as a print, and this made the decision easy. So, as soon as I see the test print you will see 'The look of love' offered in two convenient sizes A4 and A3 at SaarikoskiArt on Etsy.

 

If you would like to be informed when it is available send me a message by using the contact tab in the menu.

Read More


Black Greyhound Painting 'Sprint' to become available as a fine art print

1/11/2022 1:36:30 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I have had several requests for the oil painting 'Sprint' to be made available as a print. I think it will work well so it will be available soon as a fine art print and also framed on canvas. If you are interested in this you can either watch this space, or the better option is to join my email list. Then I will send you the information once the prints are ready.

 

Subscribe to my email list by clicking here >>>

Read More


New greyhound painting work in progress - Crossing

1/9/2022 8:26:37 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | 2 Comments

One of my first paintings for 2022 has had a huge amount of interest on social media. I was thinking about how rescue and retired greyhounds have to cross from their old life where they were either successful or unsuccessful, to find their new sweet life. Possible they have travelled to a new country. However, whatever the change it will be a big one.

 

My idea was that the white galgo is trotting quite confidently and is perhaps heading straight into their own forever home. The black one walking in a more hesitant manner. Maybe going to foster home or staying in a charity shelter for a few months or even years. The black dogs are often the ones which take longer to find a home.

 

The painting is still work in progress (but almost finished) and so far I have called it 'Crossing'.

Crossing from street life to sweet life.

Crossing from rescue to forever home.

Crossing from one country to another.

Crossing from track to retirement.

Crossing... there is always a story behind a painting.

 

50 x 60 cm on 3.5 cm deep gallery wrapped stretched canvas. See the finished painting here >>>

Read More


Fine Art Prints Available On-line and from my studio in Helsinki

11/9/2021 12:56:41 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I have a selection of fine art prints available both on-line and from my studio in Helsinki. Perfect for Christmas gifts!

 

If you are unable to visit us in Helsinki the full range of prints is available from my Etsy shop SaarikoskiArt >>>

Here you will find all the details and prices for your region.

 

My studio address is:

Aleksis Kiven Katu 40,

00510 Helsinki

 

Opening times for autumn 2021 are:

Tuesday 13:00 - 17:00

Wednesday 13:00 - 17:00

Thursday 13:00 - 17:00

Saturday 10:00 -13:00

Read More


Peppi and her Hare - Galgo Espanol Portrait

11/8/2021 4:51:12 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

This is pretty galgo Espanol Peppi and her Hare painted as a commission as part of the Your Hound My Hare series. I have painted several in this series, some are commissions and some not.

 

I am always interested to see the reactions to paintings and I recently posted a group of these pieces with the Hare and Greyhound theme. They were all well received with likes and comments, however it was this of pretty brindle Peppi which has been shared far and wide on both Facebook and Instagram. I ponder why this one? She is certainly pretty, is it the brindle, is it the expressions of both the galgo or the hare...?

 

If you would like me to paint your hound with my hare like Peppi please get in touch. Commission details are here >>>

Read More


Pretty Brindle - Galgo Espanol

10/20/2021 3:25:03 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

An old grey faced brindle dog to some, but a very pretty brindle galgo to others, or tiikeri koira (tiger dog) to the local children. 

 

However they look there is always a very sweet soul underneath. One persons trash is another persons treasure.

 

When I saw the first photo of my galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) she was at Galgos del Sur a rescue charity in Spain. The photo along with her details had been posted by the Finnish charity Galgos del Fenix. When I read her description it seemed she could be suitable for me. The photo, a 7 year old grey faced brindle, and I thought perhaps there will not be too much competition to adopt this galgo. May be the charity will let me adopt her. 

 

She came to a foster home in Finland and as it turned out there were no other serious inquiries about her. One visit to see her, of course I wanted her! Now we have been together 3 years and I tell her everyday how beautiful and sweet she is. 

 

For the details about the painting click here >>>

Pretty Brindle (detail)

Read More


Two Galgos - Esteri and Peppi Faster Faster Commission

9/18/2021 1:58:12 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

How fun it was to paint this of two galgo Espanol girls in the style of my Hare and Hound painting Faster Faster.

 

There are many ways to have a portrait of your dog or dogs and this gives one example. I am sure stories can be told about what is happening with the characters - the black and white and the brindle Spanish greyhounds with that cheeky hare hitching a ride!

 

The two galgos in the painting are rescue dogs from Spain now living their sweet life in Finland!

 

Information about commissioning a painting can be found here >>>

 

My original painting Faster Fast is sold, however prints are available and you can find more details here >>>

 

 

Read More


Christmas Cards 2021

8/11/2021 11:39:59 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | 1 Comment

Heading towards the end of summer so it must be time to start thinking about Christmas! Well the Christmas card design for 2021 at least.

 

During August I have been considering the theme and thought I should continue the Hare and Hounds, so this is one of the new images (as there may be two). I am waiting for the proofs to come from the printing house to see how my images look in print. So, watch this space!

 

The cards will be available from my Esty shop and I will inform my email subscribers once they are available. If you are not already on my list you can subscribe here >>>

Another contender for

Christmas 2021!

 

Read More


My Muse

6/26/2021 12:03:29 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I do not usually paint larger than life,  but there can be exceptions!

For a canvas with an unusual format I decided it needed something unusual created on it. The long face of my Spanish greyhound (galgo Espanol) could fit, especially if cropped hard and to show only one eye and one ear, but leave the sensitive nose in tact. 

The grey face and the orange brown colouring of the brindle meant I wanted to choose a dark and contrasting colour for the background and I decided on a dark navy blue.

 

Anyone who has sighthounds will recognize the steady gaze...

 

 

 

Read More


Running for Fun - Three Greyhounds

6/16/2021 1:02:11 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

An abstract painting of three greyhounds. All three with legs outstretched  to create a rhythm across the painting.  The background's wide 's' shape in blue back connecting all 3 hounds. 

 

I never tire of watching greyhounds run. I have a rescue galgo Espanol and this painting is inspired by her. We had a hard winter in Finland and once spring arrived and the ground thawed it was such a treat to watch my galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) running for fun, and really enjoying herself.

 

40 x 60 cm original acrylic painting on gallery wrapped stretched canvas. To see full details click here >>>

 

 

 

 

 

Read More


Rescued - Black Galga

6/10/2021 11:49:39 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

A tall canvas for a long dog! 

I am always watching my galgo (Spanish greyhound). I love the long lines and angles of her beautiful athletic body. I have been worried about her because after several recent blood and urine tests it seems her kidney function is not all it should be and she has had a course of very strong medication. She shows no signs of being unwell so I wonder if she will suddenly go downhill. As this has been so much on my mind I study her form even more than usual. I run my hands over her soft short fur on her head, down her long neck and feel the contours of the strong arch in her back and then huge muscles on her hind legs. She turns her head and looks at me with her large soft sighthound eyes as if to say why have you stopped! So I willingly repeat the same action.

 

The narrowness of this canvas gave the inspiration to do a study of one side of a galgo. I like how it worked. I managed to not put too much detail into the head, but enough in that sighthound eye to give the typical gaze of a galgo. 

 

The sides of this painting are neatly finished and it has fixings on the back ready for hanging, and you will find full details about it here >>>

Read More


The Hare and Greyhound that became my top selling print!

6/6/2021 12:33:17 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Little did I realize when I had the hare and hound idea during the COVID-19 lockdown in spring 2020 that this small painting would become my most popular print. The original oil painting itself got a lot of attention and several people wanted it, so it was an easy decision to offer fine art prints from it. There prints can be bought from this website here >>>

 

A little background to the painting. It was inspired by my galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) a hunting rescue dog now happily retired with me, and my constant companion. Since having her I have enjoyed seeing far more wildlife than ever before as we are out walking early morning and late evening. She is especially interested in the local hare population which is plentiful in the area where we live. She quietly watches them and would chase given the chance, but we are within city limits where all dogs must be on a leash. However, during her first winter in Finland, so far colder than her native Spain, I noticed in the morning she would glance at the hares enjoying the grass in front of our home. But it was only a glance as she decided she would like to go into the warm to enjoy her breakfast. It was from this I had the idea about the hunter and the prey starting to co-operate and that's how the hare clinging to the neck of the hound came about. 

 

I have been asked, why is the hare looking back? The simple answer is composition. How to fit the two animals together when one has such long ears. So I decided the hare could be looking back over its shoulder, and this could add to the story, and keep the viewer wondering about the situation. Whatever the hare may be watching I like to think there is co-operation between the unlikely pair.

 

Details:

Title: Hold Tight from the Hare and Hound Series fine art print. 

Printed on fine art paper with archival inks.

Size: 20 x 25 cm or approximately 8" x 10".

The price includes sales tax (where applicable) and shipping.

Prints are made to order with a processing time of 3-5 days. Shipping times vary according to your location between 4 - 14 days.

To buy go to the print information page here >>>

 

Read More


Graffiti -Two Greyhounds

5/19/2021 1:42:57 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

The movement of a greyhound is so fluid. Easy, covering ground effortlessly.

 

I have a galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound). When I am outside with her she is usually on a 2 metre leash. Her favourite pace is to trot. In horse terms I would call it a working trot. She has the attitude she has somewhere to go. I allow her the length of the leash and if I walk fast (I have long legs) I can keep pace with her and watch her fluid movement. I notice the back paw lands just where the front paw was. That surely has to be efficiency.

 

I painted the background to this canvas first. The first layer was yellow ochre and you can see small areas of this left exposed by the other layers of paint. I then more or less covered it with white and then had some fun with a large black brush to make some bold marks. That's when I decided to call it Graffiti! I made stencils to add the greyhounds. I did not want to paint them in my usual realistic style and the painting is just as I had first imagined.  :)

 

Further details about the painting can be found here >>>

Read More


Spring Fever - Greyhound art to celebrate spring

5/10/2021 2:04:08 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

In anticipation of spring arriving in Finland I painted Spring Fever. While waiting for the blossoms to burst I experimented with a lot of wet paint on the canvas and let it run. This would be the colourful background to my subject. It worked better than I expected, but I became lost for a while and left the painting alone for a few weeks. I knew I wanted to add a greyhound but where and how?

The work in progress background of Spring Fever.

There are always many questions to be answered and decisions to be made when creating a painting. This was originally going to be a landscape format because I had already pictured in my mind the greyhound. However, as I was studying the shapes and marks I turned the canvas and realised it would work so much better in portrait format - then it was easy.

I changed the greyhound image I had imagined to the one you see in the painting and I was able to place it perfectly. I made a stencil in the correct proportion to fit the painting to check the positioning. Then I continued to make adjustments to the background and now I am very happy with it! 

 

The painting is for sale and you will find the details here >>>

Read More


Sweet Life - Abstract Galgo Espanol

3/21/2021 1:39:44 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Why did I choose the title Sweet Life for this painting? I have a galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) who I adopted in 2018. I have met many wonderful people who rescue and rehabilitate these ex-hunting dogs from Spain, and work very hard to find them their forever homes or 'Sweet Life'.  This, even with the pandemic has not stopped and not one but two consignments of galgos have arrived by road this winter to find their sweet life in Finland.

 

I am a Brit living in Finland and with my lovely galgo we have both found our sweet life in our adopted country. I am from an old country full of tradition and my oil painting style is traditional, but I live in a young country which embraces the modern contemporary. I gave myself a goal this year to do more acrylic painting in a looser style.  I used acrylic color for this piece as it dries quickly so I could be bold and experiment with colour and mark making.

 

I usually compose my subject(s) first or together with the background. This was different. I wanted to experiment with an abstract background without first thinking about the subjects. The background changed many times as I liked some areas and not others. I used acrylic paint which dries quickly, so after a short break I could come back and apply more paint. I wanted the background to have something about Finland. Finland is forest and  lakes and I don't near a lake but near the sea.

 

When I thought it was almost finished I decided where to place the two galgos. I wanted to keep the abstract style, and not paint in my usual realistic way. I made two cardboard templates which I painted in different colours and then used them to create 'print' the galgos onto the painting. I added the pale one first and waited for it to dry before adding the darker one over the top. Once they were in place the background needed some adjustments. But there they were two galgos in their sweet life - and by the way always adopt two galgos if at all possible :) Full details about the painting are here >>>

The galgo templates for the painting

 

Here are links to some of the charities helping galgos find their sweet life:

Galgos del Sur - rescued my galgo Tenshi in Spain. 

Galgos del Fenix in Finland from whom I adopted Tenshi.

Galgos del Sol in Spain and have worked with Galgos del Fenix to bring galgos to Finland by road as during the pandemic flights between the countries are almost non existent.

Refugio Esperanza a Finnish run galgo refuge who rehabilitate and find homes for galgos mainly in Finland.

 

 

 

Read More


Orange and Blue Galgo Espanol

3/3/2021 7:48:41 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I love the combination of orange and blue and wanted to try this combination inspired by a drawing I did of my brindle galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound). Usually I paint in a more traditional style in oils, but I thoroughly enjoyed this more abstract approach and using acrylic paint which drys very quickly.

 

The painting is called 'Patience' because this is how she waits patiently for me in many situations, (however on competing the painting I have decided to call it 'Blue Galgo'). This can be waiting for me to put many layers on due to the low temperatures outside before going out for a walk. Or while we are out and about running errands, for example at the Post Office or framing shop. She lies like this while all kinds of things are going on around her. People may come very close to her or even step over her and she does not move a muscle. However, as soon as she senses I am about to leave she is immediately on her feet and ready to go!

 

Do you have a favourite colour, or colour combination? Does your dog have a pose you love? Could they make a good combination and make a very special piece of art to hang in your home. If yes, get in touch by using the contact tab in the menu and let's discuss what you would like!

 

For full details about this painting click here >>>

During 2021 I will be creating more pieces similar to this and experimenting with different colour combinations. If you would like to be kept informed about the new paintings please join My List by entering your best email address below. (By best I mean the one you read most regularly!)

 

Read More


Wheel of Fortune - Galgo Espanol

2/16/2021 2:00:29 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

A domestic animal does not have much control over its life. It depends very much upon the humans that are responsible for it.

 

I have a galgo Espanol (Spanish sighthound) and she has been a very good dog for someone in her past, and well cared for. I can tell. She is a rescue dog from Spain. She loves people especially men and children. I believe she was a very good hunting dog for someone and I wonder how many litters of pups she has had. Someone decided her life was to end and she was found in the municipal dog pound in Cordoba Spain, but someone else decided she should be rescued. Someone decided she should come to Finland and go to a foster home. I was the lucky person who decided to adopt her!

 

I wanted to paint the beautiful form of a greyhound and include in it some symbols about its life, whether show, track or hunting hound. See if you can spot them!

 

This painting is now sold, however you will find more greyhound and galgo Espanol paintings for sale on this website here >>>

 

And if you would like me to create a similar painting for you please get in touch [email protected].

Wheel of Fortune

(detail)

Read More