Showing new paintings, and latest news.


Greyhound and Galgo Christmas cards 2024

11/6/2024 5:56:22 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

If your are looking for greyhound and galgo Christmas cards my Christmas theme designs are available again from Redbubble

It is a convenient way to buy cards for the holiday season, as they are printed in your country or once close by, rather than me sending them around the world from Finland! Shop Christmas cards here>>>

As well as the cards you also find a cute Christmas throw pillow which is proving very popular take a look here >>>

Read More


2025 Greyhound and Galgo Wall Planner Calendar

10/31/2024 7:39:03 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

** Calendars are now SOLD OUT**

See a different piece of greyhound art each month for a year!

For the first time I am offering a monthly wall planner calendar with a piece of my galgo or greyhound art for each month. This 2025 calendar has 13 different images, including the cover, and has space to write important dates and appointments. The size is A4, and the calendar pages are printed on high-quality 250 g/m² silk-matt paper. See more photos below. Designed and printed in Finland.

If you would like more information about the calendar please email me with your name and country and I will send you the details. [email protected]

There is also a Finnish version!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read More


Otis Khufu and Ashur commissioned greyhound painting

9/14/2024 7:04:13 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

A wonderful project to work on of this greyhound trio, that had to be kept secret as it was a wedding present.

 

My client wanted an abstract painting of her three rescue greyhounds, and we discussed what she wanted by email. It is always interesting to me to know which of my paintings a client likes because this give me an idea about what they are expecting in their own painting. In this case it was clearly abstract and then we discussed the colours she wanted.

 

These three hounds have their own Instagram account, so I felt I got to know the three different characters while creating the painting.

 

If you are interested in commissioning your own custom painting, you will find some information on my website, which includes a price guide by clicking this link >>>

 


Read More


Grey Face - greyhound canvas print

8/30/2024 9:05:28 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

The way she quietly watches you...

A close-up depiction of a grey faced brindle greyhound with expressive eyes in a slightly abstract style, blending soft pinks in the background. The brushstrokes and color palette give the artwork a raw and emotional feel. The perfect combination of greyhound and abstract art. The combination of pinks and greys make it ideal to be a focal point in any room.

 

The painting sold but is now available printed on canvas in my print shop. There is an unframed and a framed version.

And if you would like to browse the whole collection of prints click here >>>

 

Read More


Something in the Air selected as part of the FAV15% in BoldBrush Painting Competition

6/26/2023 6:57:50 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Standing steady and sniffing the air, who has just passed through? Was it a hare, fox or surely a deer as the nose is lifted so high. This painting is inspired by my own Galgo Espanol, so it was extra special to receive the following email:


"Dear Louise,
Congratulations! Your painting, "Something in the Air", was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury's favorite 15% of the entries) in the May 2023 BoldBrush Painting competition.

Thanks so much and congrats again!
Sincerely,
The FASO Team"

 

The painting is at the moment still available. If you would like to see the details, click here >>>

 

Read More


Hare and Hound Prints Now available in Float Frames!

10/22/2022 1:19:56 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I have been selling prints of my work for sometime now and often get asked about framing. It is not possible for me to offer many framing options because I do not have time to administer them. I pondered on whether I should offer a limited range of frames, and this is my solution.

 

I tested canvas mounted prints in a black float frame that I could offer globally. This worked very well, but the black was not a fit for all the prints and I had to be patient and wait for the white version to become available to offer around the world.

 

My print Hold Tight was the obvious choice to offer first, and it attracted attention from my studio in Helsinki  in both the black and white frame and not only to sighthound people - which I have to say has been quite a bonus!

 

Why float frames? I wanted to offer something different and modern. They are a very good quality wooden frame and have the added advantage that they are deep enough to be be free standing on a shelf. 

 

Why only black or white? My art tends to suit either black or white and in some cases both! Frame choices are infinite and I do not have room to become a framing shop. For now at least I will stick to this limited but quality range.  

Read More


Peppi and her Hare - Galgo Espanol Portrait

11/8/2021 4:51:12 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

This is pretty galgo Espanol Peppi and her Hare painted as a commission as part of the Your Hound My Hare series. I have painted several in this series, some are commissions and some not.

 

I am always interested to see the reactions to paintings and I recently posted a group of these pieces with the Hare and Greyhound theme. They were all well received with likes and comments, however it was this of pretty brindle Peppi which has been shared far and wide on both Facebook and Instagram. I ponder why this one? She is certainly pretty, is it the brindle, is it the expressions of both the galgo or the hare...?

 

If you would like me to paint your hound with my hare like Peppi please get in touch. Commission details are here >>>

Read More


Two Galgos - Esteri and Peppi Faster Faster Commission

9/18/2021 1:58:12 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

How fun it was to paint this of two galgo Espanol girls in the style of my Hare and Hound painting Faster Faster.

 

There are many ways to have a portrait of your dog or dogs and this gives one example. I am sure stories can be told about what is happening with the characters - the black and white and the brindle Spanish greyhounds with that cheeky hare hitching a ride!

 

The two galgos in the painting are rescue dogs from Spain now living their sweet life in Finland!

 

Information about commissioning a painting can be found here >>>

 

My original painting Faster Fast is sold, however prints are available and you can find more details here >>>

 

 

Read More


Rescued - Black Galga

6/10/2021 11:49:39 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

A tall canvas for a long dog! 

I am always watching my galgo (Spanish greyhound). I love the long lines and angles of her beautiful athletic body. I have been worried about her because after several recent blood and urine tests it seems her kidney function is not all it should be and she has had a course of very strong medication. She shows no signs of being unwell so I wonder if she will suddenly go downhill. As this has been so much on my mind I study her form even more than usual. I run my hands over her soft short fur on her head, down her long neck and feel the contours of the strong arch in her back and then huge muscles on her hind legs. She turns her head and looks at me with her large soft sighthound eyes as if to say why have you stopped! So I willingly repeat the same action.

 

The narrowness of this canvas gave the inspiration to do a study of one side of a galgo. I like how it worked. I managed to not put too much detail into the head, but enough in that sighthound eye to give the typical gaze of a galgo. 

 

The sides of this painting are neatly finished and it has fixings on the back ready for hanging, and you will find full details about it here >>>

Read More


Faster Faster - Hare and Hound Series #9 Fine Art Print

1/10/2021 11:32:06 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

This oil painting was in a series of 10 Hare and Hound artworks and perhaps you can see how my imagination was starting to run, with the hare urging the hound "faster faster". It is up to you the viewer to decide the story, why, what, when?

The original painting found a super home in the US and I decided to make it available as a fine art print details about the print are below and if you would like to purchase click this link >>>

The idea for the Hare and Hound Series was inspired by my adopted galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) an ex-hunting dog from Spain, used for hunting hare and coursing. She lives in retirement now, but walking with her early morning and late evening we often see the neighbourhood hare population. As my galgo is always on the leash they seem to know they are safe and usually stick around while we pass. It's just a nice thought to think of some kind of cooperation between the species - the hunter and the hunted.

A fine art print available from my original acrylic painting 'Faster Faster'.

Printed on fine art paper with archival inks.

Size: 20 x 25 cm or approximately 10x8".

The price includes sales tax (where applicable) and shipping.

Prints are made to order with a processing time of 4-7 days.

Shipping times vary according to your location between 4 - 14 days.

To buy the print click here >>>

 

 

 

 

Read More


Hold Tight from the Hare and Hound Series - open edition fine art print

10/15/2020 1:33:13 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

This very popular painting is now available as a fine art print.  Printed on fine art paper with archival inks.

Prints are made to order with a processing time of 3-5 days. Shipping times vary according to your location.

The size is 20 x 25 cm or approximately 8" x 10".

The price includes sales tax (where applicable) and shipping.

Click here to purchase >>>

 

The original painting was inspired by my galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) a hunting rescue dog now retired, and her changing relationship with the neighbourhood hares, with a touch of my imagination thrown in. 

Although the original painting is sold you will find other paintings in the series available on this website. I have also painted several 'Your Hound My Hare' as commissioned pieces, which means I could paint your hound with a hare similar to the once in this painting. You will find my commission information here and prices here >>>

Read More


Galgo Apollo and his Hare

9/3/2020 9:01:33 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

This is Refugio Esperanza's Apollo which I have painted with a hare very similar to the one in my painting 'Hold Tight' #3 in the Hare and Hound Series.

 

Before I started I was not too sure how it would turn out. Apollo's ears are different to my galgo in the Hold Tight painting. However, I am pleased to  say it worked very well and I am grateful to Apollo's owner for asking if I would paint him like this. 

 

The success of the painting is due to the theme, as galgo Espanol or Spanish greyhounds are used for hunting hare in Spain, and for those of us that adopt rescued galgos once they are  no longer needed, we think of them as retired from this so called 'sport'. Therefore, could there be some sort of co-operation between the prey and the retired hunter - probably not, but a nice thought. The other reason for success  is the length of neck a  sighthound has, which gives room for the hare to sit on its back and cling on around the neck.

 

Since painting 'Apollo and His Hare' I have painted many Hounds with their own hares (or I could say my hare). The paintings have worked well, all different but all unique artworks in their own right. If you are interested in having your hound painted with my hare message me by using the 'contact' tab in the menu! Prices are based on my commission prices which you will find here by clicking this link >>>

 

Hold Tight

Hare and Hound Series #3

SOLD


Read More


The Space In Between - Hare and Hound Series #6

9/2/2020 3:00:01 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

I have been interested in how close wildlife allows my Spanish greyhound and I to get to them,before they decide it is time go. This why I chose to create this painting. Although the hare is looking away, her eyes are set in such a way she can still clearly see the hound and whether she needs to move away or not. 

 

The space in between us and them varies a lot  according to the species, and also the individual animal. Some of the hares that live close by are so used to us we can happily watch them for quite some time before they decide to move on.

 

A lot of the greyhounds in this painting series are brindle with a grey face, however this pale coloured galgo Espanol suited the colour palette I had in mind and the light coloured hare inspired by their fur colour during the winter when they lose their usual brown coat.

 

For more information on this Hare and Hound series read my blog post which gives some background to the paintings >>>

 

If you would like to be among the first to be informed about new paintings as they become available drop your best email address into the box below and I will keep you informed.

 

This is perhaps the cutest of the series of 10 paintings and is the only one unframed, although it has fixings on the back for hanging. You can see it from different angles by scrolling down. If your would like more information click the 'contact artist' tab in the menu!

 



 

 

 

 



Read More


Galgo Espanol Dog Portrait - Otso

7/9/2020 2:39:56 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

A commissioned oil painting of a Galgo Espanol named Otso a rescue dog from Spain now living his best life in Finland!

I loved the way he is looking up catching so much light in his eyes and very pleased my client  chose this pose for the portrait. 

Otso is the first Galgo I met and the reason I adopted my own. If you want the perfect loyal companion, choose a Galgo Espanol. They spend most of their day sleeping, but will entertain you with their 'zoomies' around the house and their speed and agility in the dog park.

 

I work from photographs and most of the subjects in my painting I do not have the opportunity to meet, so distance is not object. If you would like me to paint a dog portrait for you click the 'contact' tab in the menu and we can discuss what you would like.

Read More


Hold Tight from the Hare and Hound Series

6/26/2020 1:02:33 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Another painting in the Hare and Hound series to be released early autumn 2020.

Inspired by my own dog a Galgo Espanol, an ex-hunting dog from Spain and her relationship with the local wildlife, I decided to do the first Hare and Hound series as small paintings of approx. 20 x 25 cm (8"x 10"). Some of these may be painted as larger works later.

It is fun to watch my dog indicate when there is wildlife around. She is always on the leash and they seem to know we are not too much of a threat, and allow us to approach to within a reasonable distance. Sometimes she seems indifferent to them, but other times very interested and back into her natural instinct to hunt. 

In a lot of the paintings the hare seems to have the upper hand. I let my imagination run away with me as in this one, where there seems to be co-operation between the predator and the prey.  This would never happen, but gives a positive image of the relationship with the Hound seeming to be helping the Hare - not sure what the Hare is worried about! What do you think?  

We walk similar routes, so I believe we are seeing the same animals: mostly brown hares, but also forest deer and if we are lucky a fox!

If you would like to be one of the first to be informed of other Hare and Hound paintings in the series, enter your information below.

 

Read More


Galgo with a Pearl Earring - Galgo Espanol Fine Art Prints

6/16/2020 11:36:12 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

Due to the COVID-19 situation I have sourced fine art printing houses in North America in addition to Europe, to print my most popular painting 'Galgo with a Pearl Earring'. I have had excellent feedback from customers in both USA and Canada and if you would like to see this gaze in your living room click the following links or contact me direct by clicking the contact button.

The prints are now available in two sizes shop here for Europe:  >>> and here for USA Canada >>>
"This print is absolutely lovely - just as it was described. Louise was so wonderful with answering questions promptly AND went the extra mile to find a Canadian printer at no extra cost for delivery ( because of closed borders due to covid). Thank you so much Louise- I treasure the print." Dodsie - Alberta, Canada.

Print size: 40 x 30 cm (20"x16")


      

Print size 25 x 20 cm (10"x8")

 

I have seen many versions of Girl with a Pearl Earring  by Dutch Golden Age painter Johannes Vermeer (painted c. 1665). Some of the examples have included dogs and I decided to do my own version and include my adopted galgo Tenshi as the 'Girl'.

I enjoyed the challenge of fitting the head of a greyhound under the headscarf and deciding where the all important pearl earring should hang. (Although the original painting is sold, fine art prints are available see above.)

If you need more information please click the contact the artist tab!

Read More


Finnish Lapphund by Louise Charles-Saarikoski

1/17/2020 12:21:21 PM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

A Father and his young son came into the studio to order this Finnish Lapphund as a surprise Christmas gift for his wife.

We went through the photographs and chose the most suitable together. Although I have a dog with very short hair, I do like painting long thick hair. There is something very luxurious about loading a brush with plenty of paint and watching it build both colour and texture at the same time.

The white on the muzzle really popped against the black fur making it look 3D.

If you would like a portrait but cannot come to the studio, don’t worry! We can choose photos via email. Use the 'contact' tab in the menu at the top of the page. Distance is no object! 😊

 

"I got this painting from my husband and son, best gift ever! We love our dog Lulu. ❤️ The painting is beautiful! Thank you, Louise!" - Kaisa, Helsinki.

Read More


Nala - Whippet portrait by Louise Charles-Saarikoski

1/8/2020 12:45:43 AM | By Louise Charles-Saarikoski | Comment on this

“The most beautiful, and thoughtful gift I’ve received ever! Thank you for the portrait, love it ♥️”. - Pia , Helsinki, Finland 

 

This is a portrait of beautiful whippet Nala. I received the order well in advance of Christmas for when it was to be given as a gift to her owner. In the photograph I was sent Nala was 'back lit' as a beautiful sunset over a lake was in the background. This meant she appeared quite dark in the photo. However when I asked for more photographs, I was quickly supplied with further photos so I could see Nala's colour and her gorgeous whippet eyes properly, and it turned into a very successful painting. It was wonderful to paint the delicate pinks and blues of the sunset over the lake as the perfect backdrop to this pale coloured whippet.

 

Those of you who know me, know I have a thing for sighthounds and I have a galgo Espanol (Spanish sighthound). Therefire may be you can imagine how excited I was to get the opportunity to paint Nala in such a beautiful and dare I say typical Finnish scene. A whippet next to a Finnish lake, the perfect combination!

 

Nala posing next to her portrait.


If you are interested in ordering a portrait please send me an email by using the contact tab in the menu.

 

You will find sighthound paintings, prints and greetings cards in my Etsy shop: SaarikoskiArt>>>

 

 

Read More